Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Book Review

2Gether 4Ever: Notes of a Junior High School Heartthrob
by Dene Larson

I wouldn't really consider this a regular book you can sit down and read. It's almost more of a coffee book since the content is just old notes that had been passed between the author and others through out his jr. high years. It didn't take long to read, although I will admit I read parts here or there until I was done. Just the fact that Larson has kept these notes is pretty amazing. He has selected the notes to put into sections such as "I like you, do you like me?" & "We're breaking up". I would have liked the notes to be in some type of order so the reader could follow some type of story, but that might be a little to much to ask. Reading the notes, with the creases from the elaborate folding that only a jr. higher can do, it took me back to my jr. high days of writing notes and dropping them in lockers of friends and prospective girlfriends. It reminded me of how dependent the jr. high years can be on having a girlfriend/boyfriend. I would say that the notes I wrote in jr. high (and we all wrote them) were not so much to do with relationships and who we were "going with", but I guess when I think back, they really were. Like a reviewer on amazon said, thoughts of the show The Wonder Years came to mind when reading it. Man I miss being in jr. high. (maybe why now I teach them)
Anyway, the bottom line is that I would not say this is the best book in the world, but if you want a trip down memory lane to a place where the perfectly folded note was a priority in your life, then this is a cool read. Plus, at the end of the book he has a glossary of note slang and a page showing how to fold the perfect triangle note.
Overall: 3 checked "yes" boxes (out of a possible 5)

PS: W/B/S
("write back soon" for those of you who couldn't remember)

No comments: