Saturday, May 03, 2008

Cross Cultural Experience...

Today I am experiencing a new culture that is foreign to me. The world of dance competition. I'm spending all day at a dance competition in Denver where my 3 girls are all performing. Now I have to say, I have a true love-hate relationship with these competitions. First the love part: I love the fact that kids from age 4 to 18 are able to come together and celebrate the wonderful art of dance. Watching some of the routines is inspiring due to the creativity and level of difficulty. I love having our girls do something they love that doesn't include TV or video games. I also feel the performing helps improve their confidence in front of others that will help them later in life. Now for the hate part: There's something about seeing girls from the age of 4 to 12 wearing makeup that just doesn't sit right. I guess they are performing on a stage so it's not a lot different than theater, but it still creeps me out a little. The other thing I don't like about these competitions is how much of a "money maker" they are. I mean it costs a pretty hefty fee to enter, No video taping is allowed (but you can buy a DVD for only $70), the performers only receive one trophy per group (which means if you want one for the other members of the routine you need to shell out $25 for each additional), and then for those they "award" the top prizes, they give them an invitation to travel to New York or San Fransisco or somewhere where the performers have to shell out a large amount to work with their teachers and judges for a couple of days. If I wasn't called to ministry, I know what business I would be in...
All in all, it's a different world than the world of little league football and baseball I grew up with, but still makes for a proud dad.

No comments: