Thursday, July 24, 2008

Holy Streamline Batman...

Ever wonder why youth ministries have the constant urge to fill a calendar like a competitive eater fills a plate at an all-you-can-eat buffet? I have to admit that amidst some of the areas I have to work at in ministry, God has for some reason blessed me with the ability to program. I love it, but being in ministry for ten years has definitely taught me one big programming lesson... "Don't over program!" Too often in youth ministry we feel like a bare calendar is going to portray to people that we aren't doing our job. I beg to differ. The more we offer, the more our excellence in those programs suffers. Learning from experience in being in the overloaded calendar boat early in my career, I now believe that God doesn't care how much we do as much as He cares about how we do it. Monday we had our all day yearly youth ministries planning meeting. It felt so good to be past the idea that there were blank areas on the calendar to fill and to get to talking about how to make the events already on the calendar excellent.
Why do we feel the need to throw in events just to do events? Streamlining, there's nothing like it!

1 comment:

Luther said...

D-
I'm glad to read this post from you. I don't know how recent it has been that you've come to this position, but I'll tell you that when I was helping with PowerSource I often felt like there was a lot of "filler" in the calendar. You'll likely have more volunteers helping when they don't feel like there's always something they need to be helping with.