Sunday, March 01, 2009

God Bless America!

*Small Rant Warning*

Ok, this last week I sat in a meeting with a man that I really have a lot of respect for that did a presentation on abortion and a local pregnancy center that our church supports. While I totally support the ministry they provide and the pro-life position, there was something that was said in the presentation that got me thinking. While talking about our nation's problem with abortion, it was mentioned that God is withholding blessing from our nation because of the sin of abortion. I think it was even mentioned that Abe Lincoln had stated that God had brought the cival war and withheld blessings from our nation because of slavery. This got me thinking of other times lately (especially with the economy decline) where I have heard people say that God is either withholding blessing or is punishing our nation for "moral decay". This also got me thinking of the People that pray the prayer "God Bless America" on a regular basis and even go so far as to put it on their car, etc. I am 110% for patriotism and supporting our troops and love it when our country comes together as a great nation. But I still have one question that reoccurs. Can we really say God is not blessing our country? I mean, come on, we are the most blessed country in the world. You only have to travel to our neighbor, Mexico, to see that we are blessed beyond most people of the world's wildest dreams. Today I used indoor bathrooms, ate 2 full meals (only because I was to lazy to eat breakfast and make it 3 meals), I drove in my own car, I watched TV in my own house, I got to decide what clothes I was going to wear out of a closet full of clothes, I worshiped freely without having to hide my faith in a beautiful church building full of lights, sound equipment and even free coffee, And in a little while I am going to go to bed in a wonderfull bed with clean blankets protected from any cold weather outside. Now, do I still feel the need for God to bless me more? Sure, I love God's blessings and feel that we should seek them daily, but to say that God has been withholding things from America because of our "moral decay" doesn't seem totally accurate. I mean, if God is holding blessings back from our country, heaven forbid what the people in Africa must be doing morally wrong to be in a state of poverty and hunger. So, does that mean I think we should have moral freedom to do what ever we want because we are covered under grace and God has blessed us through some of our marol failures as a nation? um, no. What I am saying is that maybe instead of looking at what is being withheld from us because of our shortfalls, we should look at what God has given us, and let it be a reminder of why we need to praise Him. And if we are going to ask for blessings, let us add the rest of God's creation that has far less than us to that list of those needing blessings. They could use some blessin'.
Thanks for reading as I now step down from my soapbox...

No comments: