Monday, March 09, 2009

A new chapter...

Yesterday I had to do something that every youth pastor hates. In my "messages" file on my computer, where I keep past messages, I have a lesson document I secretely entitled "the bomb". I've only taught it one other time. In fact, I haven't even opened it since August of 2002. Just clicking on it made me want to cry. "The bomb" is a message I constructed on following God's direction and being obedient. You see, the only time I teach it is when I need to let my youth group know that I am leaving and moving to a new ministry.
After a ton of prayer and searching for God's direction for our family, God has confirmed to us that he has a new chapter for the Deckers. Mid-way through May, I will be stepping down as Student Ministries Director at New Life EFC and June 1st I will be assuming the position of Student Ministries Director at Christian Fellowship Church in Ashburn, Virginia. While I am very excited for the opportunity to serve at CFC and looking forward to being back in Virginia where Chrissy and I lived for many years, I am also very saddened to leave our church family here in Colorado.
So, while turning the page is going to be a step of faith and excitement, the memories God has blessed us with at New Life will stay with us for eternity. Now I just pray I will not need to pull out "the bomb" for a very, very long time.

3 comments:

Ray and Janell said...

what? say it ain't so! VA is far enough away that camp will be out of the question ... right? bummer.

Dusty said...

Ray-
Ya, funny thing how God calls us away from the promised land (Kansas). But hey, who am I to argue? :)

Robert said...

Dusty!
I cant wait for you to come to CFC!!!!!! I am so excited we have a youth pastor who likes sports of all kinds. I just hope you dont drop the "bomb" on us for a while.
_ _
Soon to be student,
Robert Smith